Using State Care Provision – EUROPE

Western European countries offer state-run health care to a standard many find acceptable and this is similar to Australia and Canada. However, waits for treatment are far from distinctively a characteristic of the British NHS. It has been known that lists are likely to increase as Western governments face high amounts of demands on their budget.

Expats access to state medicine varies in EEA countries and Switzerland but if you are over retirement age you are then usually entitled to the full care standard enjoyed by the local population, once formalities have been completed.

Routes To Get The Qualification:

  • European Health Emergency Card (EHIC), this is a must-have that has replaced EN “E” Form 111 in 2005. It is important for emergency medical cover, and is aimed at holidaymakers on short trips abroad. The EHIC will not get you home, as some countries will charge for picking you up via ambulance. The Department of Health says: “You are advised to take out comprehensive private insurance for visits to all countries, regardless of whether you are covered by the EHIC.”
  • E121 state pensioners must get an E121 from their UK local social security office before leaving Britain as a future expatriate in Europe. They should register with an appropriate authority with their passport in order to complete the formalities that can get them access to health care.
  • E106 Britons who have been employed or are registered as self-employed in an EU state for 2 years may extend their access to state care by the E106. Two years or two and a half years is the maximum extension.