Education and Study

Expatriates, who move to Australia, take their children along with them which would mean a good school will need to be located and researched about. The country has a large scale for children to spend recreational time outdoors with a good high level range of school options.
The standard of education is excellent and many expats even migrate to Australia to become University students.
There are a variety of schools in Australia and parents will have plenty of options to choose from. This includes Public schools; Faith based schools and also Private schools having their different curriculum information and expenses. Attendances in schools are compulsory for children between the ages of 5 and 17. Although, it is encouraged by the government to enrol children in early education a year before joining primary school. Primary School is for children ages 5-12 years old and high school runs for children aged 12-18 years old.

Private Schools

The quality of education, small class sizes, excellent facilities and curriculum is why parents prefer to put their children into private schools being an expat. There are many private schools in Australia and these promote better infrastructure and a great standard of education. However, private schools will have long waiting lists and for some schools children may be required to pass an examination.

Expats find that by putting their children into private school they will be taught the same curriculum as their home country other than the public school that would have a different curriculum.

Private school children tend to have better exam results and good discipline than those from a state school. Due to this they have better post school outcome and are less likely to be unemployed once completing school.

With all the fantastic elements in a private school comes a tuition fee which varies within Australia. Private Catholic schools normally are the least expensive and fees range from approximately AUD 20,000 (£10,800) up to AUD 34,000 (£18,300) per year. Tuition fees for private schools are increased by 5 per cent or more at a time.

Most independent schools have the main language as English and if your child is not fluent in this, some private schools provide intensive programmes for them to learn the language. The number of international students may also be limited to approximately 10% of the schools population.

Public Schools

Majority of the children in Australia and many other foreigners send their children to public schools. Expats should expect public schools to be managing and implementing education in their own respective areas. The levels of achievement of the schools vary from state to state. It is said that Victoria and New South Wales claim some of the best public institutions.

If you are an expat living in Australia with a temporary residency visa, you will need to pay a fixed tuition fee depending on the state you are living in. Those who have a permanent residency visa are able to send their children to these institutions for no cost, however are encouraged to give contributions to their schools which is expected from local and foreign students.
There are also additional costs with school uniforms, stationary and other levies the school may have which could equal to over 100 AUD per term. It is important that foreign families provide proof of residence to enrol their children into the schools.

Faith Based Schools

Australia has many faith based schools which are run accordingly to a religious order but still have an importance on their curriculum and academics. Many of the faith based schools in the country are mostly Catholic and all of them will need to recognize a religious value and belief in their students.
The religious value in schools may differ and expat parents should speak to other foreign families to find an institute which they are looking for.

If expats want to send their children to a faith based school, tuition fees must also be paid. These are not the same as private schools and are less than the fees that temporary residents pay for public schools in different states. Due to this reason, expats living in a state that have public schools fees often send their children to faith based schools.

University Registration

Many expat students enrol into Universities in Australia which provide top education, research and have an international outlook. These have a top ranking and some of the universities are ranked amongst the top 200 in the world. Universities in Australia educate over 400,000 international students per year.

Expats are able to register in an Australian university either as an international student or as a permanent resident. However a student visa should not be applied for until an unconditional offer from the university has been received. University requirements are reliant on the demand for places but will usually include assessments of:
– Your English language competency
– Cost of studies
– Academic background

Tuition fees vary depending on the university and if you will be studying undergraduate or postgraduate programmes. For international students fees range between 30,000 AUD and more per year. If expats have permanent residency or are citizens of the country then they will be eligible for domestic fees which are around 8,000 AUD per year. Including tuition fees there will be additional costs for living expenses, overseas student health cover, costs with student visas, study guides and textbooks. Many universities also charge service fees to cover non academic services including career and employment.

Student Visas

Expats who study in Australia will require a Student Visa. These are issued to students who are accepted on a registered course which meets the standards of the Australian agency. People who have a UK passport are required to have a Higher Education Sector temporary visa. The cost of this may vary but can start from 565 AUD and is valid for the length of the course only.
There are strict controls in Australia with additional requirements including medical health checks, English language skills and also a character reference.